- The SI unit of electromotive force, the difference of potential that would carry one ampere of current against one ohm resistance.More example sentences
- They created electricity running at 10 volts with a milliamp current, enough to power a small lightbulb.
- Lightening is a discharge of static electricity that ‘contains’ millions of volts of potential difference and many thousands of amps of electrical current.
- As discussed previously, voltage is measured in volts, and current is measured in amps.
late 19th century: named after A. Volta (see Volta, Alessandro).
verb[no object] Fencing Back to top
- Make a quick movement to avoid a thrust.More example sentences
- He strongly favours fencing along a straight line, disapproving of ‘volting ‘, crossing the legs, and all the tricks which were favoured with the ancients.’
late 17th century: from French volter (see volte).