A form of tourism in which travellers participate in voluntary work, typically for a charity: at the core of voluntourism is the desire to help others [as modifier]: voluntourism programmes
More example sentences
- Voluntourism supporters are quick to point out indirect benefits too.
- Trips to destinations all over the world are adding community restoration projects, but voluntourism in New Orleans isn't limited to building homes with Habitat for Humanity.
- Our Travel for Good program promotes 'voluntourism' or getting people to take trips during which they participate in a volunteer activity - whether abroad or in areas close to home.
- Example sentences
- As a voluntourist hungry for something different, I've been involved in supporting rural sustainable community development projects in Western Kanchanaburi since 2002.
- A voluntourist also pays all expenses for her volunteer vacation, including transport, accommodations, and the agency's fee.
- Voluntourists are giving up all-inclusive beach resorts in the Caribbean for the opportunity to help others.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: vol¦un|tour¦ism
Definition of voluntourism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.