- A sedentary, single-celled aquatic animal with a contractile stalk and a bell-shaped body bearing a ring of cilia.
More example sentences
- Genus Vorticella, phylum Ciliophora, kingdom Protista
- On first visual inspection, the vorticella appeared as a small patch of fungus, about 8mm in diameter.
- Although vorticellas are often found in clusters, each stalk is individually attached to the surface.
- Among them are the bell-shaped protozoans called vorticellas that live in fresh or salt water, often in colonies that may contain between five and several hundred organisms.
late 18th century: modern Latin, diminutive of Latin vortex, vortic- 'eddy'.
More definitions of vorticellaDefinition of vorticella in:
- The US English dictionary