noun[mass noun] Phonetics
- The degree to which the tongue is raised or lowered in the articulation of a particular vowel.More example sentences
- We can estimate the overall average vowel height for a piece by averaging these values together.
- Recognizing the continual nature of vowel height is consistent with both the phonetic and phonological facts.
- For example, you should be aware that vowel F1 is strongly correlated with vowel height and that the removal of F1 will remove the main cue for vowel height.
More definitions of vowel heightDefinition of vowel height in:
- The US English dictionary