Definition of vroom in English:
1(Of a vehicle or its engine) make a roaring sound when travelling or running at high speed.
- Local Administration Minister, M.C. Sampath, waved the flag as Justina on her two-wheeler, vroomed away amidst cheers from her schoolmates and teachers.
- Darnell vroomed away in his car and I watched him before turning and heading for school.
- You see some vrooming and screeching around the town.
1.1 [with object] Cause (a vehicle’s engine) to make a roaring sound.
- Two men in safari suits would vroom their jeep onto the savannah or the prairie.
- I vroomed my engine one final time and powered away.
- Once on the street, Tim put the car into first, and deliberately vroomed the engine as he took off, feeling the slight push back into his seat.
nounBack to top
The roaring sound of an engine or motor vehicle: the vroom of a passing motorcycle
More example sentences
- She accelerated with the vroom of the motor, taking off for home.
- On the track, though, there's no racing, just the deafening vroom of the Ferraris as they dart past in a blur once every 1 min 22 secs or so, testing the effectiveness of one tweak after another.
- Neil, my former team leader, has taken to bumping blindly around the building in a virtual reality helmet, humming Born To Be Wild and making vroom noises.
exclamationBack to top
Used to convey the idea of speed or acceleration: press the ignition button and vroom!
More example sentences
- In search of hot items in which to motor around this summer, the Echo asked salespeople at three local dealerships which models made them go vroom, vroom - and the answers weren't hard to come by.
- Vroom, vroom, I'm intrigued - what if this is another really neat improvement on digital life from good ol' Google?
- Vroom, vroom - new York City owner John Batchelor's driving ambition is set to leave its mark on the Minstermen and their fans.
Definition of vroom in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan