Definition of wadding in English:
1Soft, thick material used to line garments or pack fragile items, especially cotton wool formed into a fleecy layer: [count noun]: a new generation of low-bulk polyester waddings
More example sentences
- Notice the soft wadding, which I and a few other top tailors use, as opposed to the far more common ready-made shoulder pad.
- When viewed from above, a layer of white wadding, suspended from the ceiling, makes it look as if the church is floating above the clouds.
- The contaminated cotton wadding was not found in quilts used in local colleges and nursing homes for the elderly.
1.1Material from which wads for guns are made.
- He confirmed that waddings had been found from three cartridges.
- It is necessary to firmly ram home the powder charge and over-shot wadding.
- I could see the rough patch of wadding deep within the barrel; the scratches in the metal around the muzzle; smell old propellant and lubrication.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.