- The governor of a province in an Arab country.More example sentences
- In a document obtained by Human Rights Watch, the state governor or wali of South Darfur orders commissioners ‘to recruit 300 horsemen for Khartoum’.
- It was not uncommon for the Ottoman governor (or wali as he was called) of Baghdad to clash with insurgent tribes.
- I've been the guest of chancellors, viziers, cæsars, walis and prime ministers.
from Arabic (al-)wālī.
More definitions of waliDefinition of wali in:
- The US English dictionary