Definition of wall eye in English:
1An eye with a streaked or opaque white iris.
- The blue eye is considered to be different than the wall eye, appearing a grey/blue colour.
- Bo has what I know to be a wall eye, where the brown pigment of the eye doesn't stretch right to the edge, so you get a visible white area around the brown bit.
1.1An eye squinting outwards.
- Somehow in my awful, writhing state I notice that he is wall-eyed.
- Rembrandt, the 17 th-century Dutch master known for his skill in using light to carry perspective, may have been wall-eyed, a U.S. researcher proposed on Wednesday.
- According to computer scientist Marc Levoy of Stanford University, Michelangelo's magnificent statue of ‘David’ in the Galleria dell'Accademia in Florence, Italy, is wall-eyed.
2 (walleye) A North American pikeperch with large, opaque silvery eyes. It is a commercially valuable food fish and a popular sporting fish.
- Stizostedion vitreum, family Percidae
- The shortnose gar are predators that can occupy the role of a scavenger, but often competes for food with common gamefishes like the northern pike, walleyes, and bass.
- High ratings were also given to other desirable fish like the bluegill, the walleye, and the yellow perch.
- Cool- and cold-water fish, such as walleye and trout, are being pushed farther northward into Canada, while warm-water species, such as smallmouth bass, are moving into northern U.S. waters.
- Example sentences
- A lousy musical performance would be problematic; but a botched dance move would be complete and total career suicide, as the expression of wall-eyed panic on her face clearly illustrated.
- Stalin's foreign admirers were wall-eyed intellectuals, tantalised by the violent engineering of Utopia as they stalked the corridors of the London School of Economics.
- Not for him the flared-nostril aggression of a manager-class cybercrat, or the wall-eyed stare of the technologist.
Definition of wall eye in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan