- 1Paper that is pasted in vertical strips over the walls of a room to provide a decorative surface: a roll of wallpaper [count noun]: an exclusive range of fabrics and wallpapersMore example sentences
- As finances permitted, in the living room and one bedroom the dark and tattered wallpapers were stripped and a decorator skilled at papering scrim walls put up new wallpaper.
- An expert will visit your home and plan a scheme based on the dimensions of the hallway and position of the living room, and any wallpapers, fabrics and furnishings you have planned.
- The wallpaper at Winterthur shares landscape and architectural element as well as figures with the Beauport paper and other painted wallpapers imported from China in the eighteenth century.
- 1.1Something, especially music, that provides a bland or unvaried background: soothing sonic wallpaperMore example sentences
- The previous night he bought #150 worth of CDs at Tower which he justified on the basis that he needs background music as wallpaper to his painting.
- Closer inspection reveals, however, that this is simply tepid wallpaper music that's been dressed up with a few modern beats.
- It's far from wallpaper music, however, and for a first LP is accomplished and highly listenable.
- 1.2An optional background pattern or picture serving as a background on a computer or mobile phone screen.More example sentences
- We not only have a detailed video review, but also high-res movies, and even custom wallpaper for your computer desktop.
- She will also provide services like ringtones, Java games and wallpapers.
- I always get my wallpapers and desktop icons from thereabouts.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Apply wallpaper to (a wall or room): we were wallpapering a wall (as noun wallpapering) he was planning to do some wallpapering this month (as adjective wallpapered) the wallpapered wall behind the stairsMore example sentences
- Reexamination of the walls revealed that two rooms were originally wallpapered.
- In the room, the walls were wallpapered with scenery, a mythological forest.
- My room was actually wallpapered with ‘National Geographic’ maps and my book shelves all had ‘National Geographic’ magazines.
More definitions of wallpaperDefinition of wallpaper in:
- The US English dictionary