- So when it came to choosing her object of desire, she wanted an attractive object with a practical side.
- He takes a risk because he thinks he can get away with it because the facts may well turn out to support his editor's desire and he wants a quiet life and to be obliging.
- Feel the heat of desire, forget wanting a new car.
- He wants to speak to me tomorrow, or rather, as he put it, he wants me to speak to him.
- The moderator was flagging me down because he wanted me to speak for a couple of minutes.
- Students care a lot about their future and they want someone powerful to speak to them.
- He was named as wanted by Bedfordshire Police in 1998 in connection with the murder of Mr Farrow.
- There are around 700 bail dodgers in Bolton who are wanted by police on outstanding warrants.
- She is known to have had a relationship with a homeless man who was wanted by police in connection with a stolen credit card.
- I've always tried to please him with the clothes I buy but him not wanting me sexually I find very hurtful.
- So Kathy is reduced to tears of frustration as she waits to see whether Anna wants her as a sexual partner.
- Rosa said that although she does not want to drop the charges, she cannot handle the pressures of the situation anymore and wants out of the Army.
- Like Dillon, he wants out of his current situation.
- Never thrusting himself upon the crowd, but quietly allowing people to find him, he had a confidence in his own ability to judge who and what he wants out of every situation.
- I want to believe everything the marketing people tell me about whisky, and more besides.
- Like the lover let down on a thousand occasions already, we wanted to believe that this time everything would be all right.
- He had the kind of personality that made you want to believe everything he said, even if he said the sky was pink.
- Men, he claimed, are in want of youth, good skin and lustrous hair.
- The broken roof tiles seen through the grilled door say the area is in want of care.
- The story goes that the handsome prince, in want of a wife, invited all the girls in the land to a ball.
- What Ireland and our Bertie should align itself and us to is not a war on terror but a war on want.
- It is a great place to acquire and accessorize all your wants and desires - a great place to shop till you drop.
- We may all have different ideas of how to get to that place, but in the end we have the same wants and needs and desires.
- We are taught and indoctrinated into pursuing our own wants and desires, often at the expense of others.
Middle English: the noun from Old Norse vant, neuter of vanr 'lacking'; the verb from Old Norse vanta 'be lacking'. The original notion of ‘lack’ was early extended to ‘need’ and from this developed the sense 'desire'.
Words that rhyme with wantComte, conte, font, fount, pont, quant, Vermont
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: want
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.