noun (plural wapitis)
A red deer of a large race native to North America. Also called elk in North America.
- Cervus elaphus canadensis, family Cervidae; it is sometimes treated as a separate species (C. canadensis)
More example sentences
- We have a wapiti [elk], which was shot in Canada by one of the pilots in 1917 and subsequently mounted in the Mess.
- A wapiti lies upside down to the lower right.
- The National Wildlife Society judged his comprehensive wapiti study, The Elk of North America, the ‘outstanding publication on terrestrial wildlife’ in 1951.
early 19th century: from Shawnee, literally 'white rump'.
Definition of wapiti in:
- The US English dictionary