Entry from US English dictionary
A program used to find phone numbers that connect to a modem, often used by someone seeking to access the computers of others without permission.
- Using ‘war dialers,’ Ambersail specializes in tracking down rogue modems, counting some of the world's largest companies and financial institutions among its clients.
- They are also never recorded as modem answered calls by war dialers or other monitoring systems.
- The war dialers are programmed to randomly dial the numbers of the phones assembled on the stage.
war dialing noun
- Example sentences
- I believe they actually were derived from the term ‘war dialing’, the process of sequentially dialing a range of phone numbers in search of a modem connect tone.
- Back in the modem days, connection-hungry nerds with time on their hands engaged in war dialing.
- In that film, war dialing is the act of using a modem attached to a computer to dial an entire exchange of phone numbers to locate any computers with modems attached to them.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: war di·al·er
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.