- An Australian shrub which bears slender leathery leaves and clusters of crimson flowers.
More example sentences
- Genus Telopea, family Proteaceae: several species, in particular T. speciosissima, which is the emblem of New South Wales
- The Bangalow palm, the waratah, the fire-wheel flower, the banksia and the Sturt desert pea are all accurately captured in the painting.
- Flowers were widely used in design, particularly from the 1880s, when motifs based on the waratah, wattle, bottlebrush, and eucalyptus were popular.
- The spectrum of Australian flowers is amazing; some like waratahs large and obvious, others like thryptomene small but charming; seen close up, many are exquisite.
late 18th century: from Dharuk warata.