Definition of warn in English:
1Inform someone in advance of a possible danger, problem, or other unpleasant situation: [with object]: his father had warned him of what might happen [with direct speech]: ‘He’s going to humiliate you,’ John warned [no object]: traffic signals warned of fog [with clause]: the union warned that its members were going on strike
More example sentences
- The report also warned of the dangers of failing to improve the lot of ordinary Iraqis.
- It was a habit left over from the old days when the king and his ministers were thus warned of danger.
- Because of the possible dangers we are warning customers not to use them.
1.1 [with object] Give someone cautionary advice about their actions or conduct: he warned the chancellor against raising taxes [with object and infinitive]: police warned people not to keep large amounts of cash in their homes [no object]: they warned against false optimism
More example sentences
- Police are warning drivers to remain cautious today after a winter storm dumped as much as 14 inches of snow on parts of eastern Virginia.
- Whatever the reason, Shuggy's behaviour eventually prompted a police caution, warning him that if he didn't calm down then he would be in serious trouble.
- Police are warning the public to be cautious when opening their door to strangers.
warn someone off the course
- Horse Racing Prohibit someone who has broken the laws of the Jockey Club from riding or running horses at meetings under the Jockey Club’s jurisdiction.Example sentences
- Was this a chance to warn him off the course?
- The murkier side of racing continued to make headlines as talented ex-jockey Graham Brown was warned off for eight years after being found guilty by the Jockey Club of bringing the sport into disrepute.
- Ex-jockey Dermot Little was warned off for a further 20 years while another former rider Graham White was banned for five years.
warn someone off
- Order someone to keep away from (somewhere) or refrain from doing (something): he has been warned off boozeMore example sentences
- While many shunned the Ayrshire stockbroker during his period of exile from the tracks - he was warned off for ten years for his part in scandal.
- Just as he is about to get to the bottom of the affair, he is warned off by the American ambassador in Saigon.
- Now when John Main began has explorations into meditation he was warned off that path by his own order, was he not?
- Example sentences
- The helicopter's electronic warfare systems include a radar warning receiver, laser warning receiver, missile approach warner and chaff and flare dispensers.
- The laser warner provides broadband laser frequency coverage to detect and display rangefinding, designating and missile guidance laser threats.
- The defensive aids suite could include a radar warner, missile launch and approach warner, and chaff and flare decoy dispensers.