noun[mass noun] Zoology
- Conspicuous colouring that warns a predator that an animal is unpalatable or poisonous.More example sentences
- Pyrazines are extremely volatile compounds and occur alongside warning coloration in insects from widely differing taxonomic groups.
- All salamandrids have toxic skin secretions (some produce tetrodotoxins), and many have bright warning coloration that is used in defensive displays.
- Aposematic coloration (conspicuous advertisement of a prey's unpleasant qualities) or warning coloration is found in a wide array of animals.
More definitions of warning colorationDefinition of warning coloration in:
- The US English dictionary