Definition of wart in English:
1A small, hard, benign growth on the skin, caused by a virus.
- Benign skin growths include warts, moles, or corns, which are rarely serious problems.
- The skin cells in the warts releases thousands of viruses, so close skin-to-skin contact can pass on the infection.
- Even lesions with clinical changes often are proved to be benign tumors or warts.
1.1Any rounded excrescence on the skin of an animal or the surface of a plant: the toad possesses a dangerous poison in its large warts
More example sentences
- The Chinese have a tradition of breaking open the seed of brucea javonica and taping directly over warts and excrescences to stimulate their dissolution.
- They have no noseleaf, but they do have small warts on their noses above their nostrils.
- The skin is often decorated with warts and filaments that look like tassels.
warts and all
- informal Including features or qualities that are not appealing or attractive: Philip must learn to accept me, warts and allMore example sentences
candid, honest, frank, outspoken, forthright, plain-spoken, direct, blunt, downright, brutal, harsh, straight from the shoulder, explicit, unequivocal, unambiguous, unexaggerated, unadorned, undisguised, unveiled, unqualifiedinformal upfront
- I know that I am right to take a stand against this wrong being done behind our backs without the whole of Sligo being given the whole truthful facts - warts and all.
- O'Neill looks back fondly to a time when a truthful portrait, warts and all, was the true art of the portrait photographer.
- I'm proud to be a citizen and part of this country, warts and all.
warty adjective (wartier, wartiest)
- Example sentences
- The rough, warty skin conceals a fruit of such exquisite sweetness and sensuality that eating and handling one should be X-rated.
- Toads can be distinguished from frogs by their heavier build and brown, warty skin with females being larger than males.
- He was referred to our service with warty skin nodules on his left foot and leg for about 18 months now.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia