- A Japanese plant with a thick green root which tastes like strong horseradish and is used in cookery, especially in powder or paste form as an accompaniment to raw fish.
More example sentences
- Eutrema wasabi, family Cruciferae
- Sashimi consists of cuts of the finest raw fish and seafood garnished with crisp shreds of daikon and dipped into soy sauce and the hot, green Japanese horseradish called wasabi.
- It comes with slices of sweet pickled ginger and a dish of salty soy sauce and fiery-hot wasabi (a green paste, similar to horseradish).
- Isothiocyanates are also found in cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli and Brussels sprouts, and wasabi, the Japanese condiment.
early 20th century: from Japanese.
More definitions of wasabiDefinition of wasabi in:
- The US English dictionary