- 1The action of washing oneself or laundering clothes, bed linen, etc.: her arms were red to the elbow from doing other people’s washing avoid over-enthusiastic washingMore example sentences
- Most surgical operation sites simply need to be kept clean by daily washing with cool water.
- Toilet paper is a rarity and soap and water for washing is generally notable by its absence.
- On that basis, we might as well all give up washing and go around smelling like badgers, and nearly as hairy, too.
- 1.1A quantity of clothes, bed linen, etc. that is to be washed or has just been washed: she took her washing around to the launderetteMore example sentences
- We would also help to hang out the washing on the clothes line and then lift it with a wooden prop.
- I made notes and muttered the new words as I watered the garden and hung washing on the line.
- There's another load of washing about to finish, and the dishes to be washed.
More definitions of washingDefinition of washing in:
- The US English dictionary