- A fire maintained during the night as a signal or for the use of someone who is on watch.More example sentences
- And so their spirits soared as they took their positions down the passageways of battle all night long, and the watchfires blazed among them.
- In the camp, beside the glowing remains of three watchfires, paired sentries sat on heaps of skins, talking in low tones and passing wineskins from hand to hand.
- It was unusually silent, but all the watchfires in its streets were blazing with a terrible intensity.
More definitions of watchfireDefinition of watchfire in:
- The US English dictionary