nounLaw , British
- 1A brief held by a barrister to follow a case on behalf of a client who is not directly involved.More example sentences
- Any discreet watching brief must take full cognisance of an individual's right to privacy and independence.
- The Department of Justice has two lawyers who have already been paid nearly €250,000 simply to keep a watching brief on the proceedings.
- They are here on trial and it is as well that it is represented by counsel said to be holding a watching brief.
- 1.1An interest in a proceeding in which one is not directly or immediately concerned.More example sentences
- Our aim has always been to see this building serving the needs of the community so we will carry on with our watching brief.
- It's something we can keep a watching brief on, but at the moment it's not a community safety issue.
- We are here in an advisory position and will keep a watching brief on it.