- 1An official who enforces fishing laws.More example sentences
- Ben, you see, has been promised a job as the water bailiff if they get planning permission to turn the quarry into a trout fishery.
- On top of all this, he has been given a full-time job as the water bailiff, back at the quarry where he was made redundant some 25 years ago.
- The wildflower expert and angling club water bailiff from Goostrey, near Holmes Chapel, believes it is posing the greatest threat to native flora since the loss of 190,000 miles of hedgerow during the past 50 years.
- 2 • historical A customs officer at a port.More example sentences
- A second council was created featuring a Chamberlain, whose main responsibility was finances, and a water bailiff, who collected the bills.