Definition of water chestnut in English:
1 (also Chinese water chestnut) The crisp, white-fleshed tuber of a tropical sedge, used in oriental cookery.
- Be careful because a tiny cube of crisp water chestnut, together with some hot juice, is wrapped in the core of each ball.
- Or add flavour at the end in the form of smoked or raw fish, scallops, sliced and marinated beef, Chinese roast pork, finely chopped water chestnut or finely shredded iceberg lettuce.
- Deep-frozen eyeballs might have the same consistency, somewhere between a water chestnut and a lychee; a cavernous void would have had more flavour.
3 (also water caltrop) An aquatic plant with small white flowers, producing an edible rounded seed with two large projecting horns.
- Trapa natans, family Trapaceae
- Edible plants for your pond include watercress, water chestnuts, and arrowhead or Wapato.
- Eleocharis dulcis, is not a nut and is a completely different plant from the water chestnuts of the genus Trapa.
Definition of water chestnut in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.