Definition of water cooler in English:
1A dispenser of cooled drinking water, typically used in places of work.
- They also have access to the statistics showing the exact time spent away from the phone, such as toilet breaks or getting drinking water from the water cooler.
- Did he ever try and trap them by the water cooler?
- It is equidistant from the water cooler, the washing machine and the TV room.
1.1 informal Used to refer to the type of informal conversation among office workers that takes place around a water cooler: the subtleties of film noir haven’t exactly been a hot topic around the water cooler [as modifier]: water-cooler chat
More example sentences
- I won't describe what happened, but trust me… it dominated water-cooler conversation for days afterward.
- And it has already become water-cooler conversation everywhere I've gone in the last two days.
- Not that those choices would have made water-cooler conversation in Dubai.
Definition of water cooler in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan