A free-floating tropical American water plant which has been introduced elsewhere as an ornamental and in some warmer regions has become a serious weed of waterways.
- Eichhornia crassipes, family Pontederiaceae
More example sentences
- From screw pines to banana trees and water hyacinth, Kerala is blessed with a large number of plants from which commercially important natural fibres can be developed, he said.
- Most noxious weeds, such as kudzu, water hyacinth and parthenium, resulted from the introduction of semi-domesticated wild plants into non-native environments without the checks and balances of their native pests.
- But in South Africa, as with many other countries invaded by the South American water hyacinth, the fight to stem its relentless spread has long been a losing one.
More definitions of water hyacinthDefinition of water hyacinth in:
- The US English dictionary