A casing containing water placed around something to protect it from extremes of temperature.
- In addition, the water jacket provides protection from overheating of the firebox, a design feature not available in a hot-air furnace.
- The function of a water jacket in an engine is to help maintain a better temperature distribution in the cylinder bore.
- A single rifle bullet through the water jacket would quickly put the gun out of service, and another through virtually any body part would immediately do the same for the gunner.
- Example sentences
- The suspensions were irradiated for 6 min with visible light in a water-jacketed (25 [degrees] C) glass cuvette.
- A water-jacketed chamber with water and perfusion pumps was used for surgery, perfusion, and ventilation of murine lungs.
- This larger plant required the rectangular water-jacketed vessel to accommodate the root system.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: water jacket
Definition of water jacket in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.