An ornamental aquatic plant with large round floating leaves and large, typically cup-shaped, floating flowers.
- Family Nymphaeaceae: several genera and many species, including the Eurasian white water lily (Nymphaea alba, with numerous cultivars), and the widely distributed yellow water lily or brandy-bottle (Nuphar luteum)
More example sentences
- I got home mid-morning from my errands to discover that the water lily has opened its first flower.
- Great rafts of red/green foliage support the large, sparkling blooms of the white water lily, while the yellow fringed water lily spreads its dainty but prolific leaves and flowers from bank to bank.
- Fill it about two-thirds with water, then add a dwarf water lily (to raise it, set its pot atop an inverted container).
Definition of water lily in:
- The US English dictionary