- A secretive Eurasian marshbird with dark grey and brown plumage, making loud grunts and squeals in the breeding season.
More example sentences
- Rallus aquaticus, family Rallidae
- The group has also managed the wet farmland so winter visitors include snipe, redshank, water rail and common sandpiper.
- The 47 dead birds were seven barn owls, three kingfishers, a lapwing, a hen harrier, six long-eared owls, nine tawny owls, two kestrels, three green woodpeckers, six little owls, seven sparrowhawks, a water rail and a waxwing.
- Of greatest interest was the diminutive water rail, a secretive reedbed dwelling bird that is seldom seen and only occasionally heard as it utters its squealing call from the depths of a marsh in the dead of night.