- 1A large semiaquatic rat-like rodent.
More example sentences
- Several genera in the family Muridae, in particular Hydromys of Australasia
- Within this family, some species are particularly relevant, as is the case of Nectomys squamipes, a South American water rat that is a primary host of the parasite Schistosoma mansoni.
- To determine the geographical distribution of the phenotypes, we analyzed 820 skins of the South American water rat that were collected in various places in Brazil over a century and deposited at the National Museum of Rio de Janeiro.
- The 17 hectare nature protects eight hectares of undisturbed rainforest, which is home to pademelons, brush turkeys, water rats and possums that can be seen on walks.
- 1.1British another term for water vole.More example sentences
- The annual report from the conservation charity Mammal Trust UK named the water vole - also known as the water rat - as the UK's most rapidly declining mammal.
- Never having seen such a thing as a river, he becomes immediately entranced and soon makes a friend of Mr. Rat, a water rat living right on the bank.
- Following Coleridge's death the second editor was Frederick Furnivall, a fantastic eccentric in an age of eccentrics (he was the model for the water rat in Kenneth Grahame's The Wind in the Willows).
More definitions of water ratDefinition of water rat in:
- The US English dictionary