A mainly tropical predatory water bug with grasping forelegs, breathing from the surface via a bristle-like ‘tail’.
- Family Nepidae, suborder Heteroptera: several genera and species, including the European Nepa cinerea
More example sentences
- She also learned from her teacher that the water scorpion's tail forms a siphon for breathing at the surface.
- They include such things as spiders, leeches, millipedes, pill bugs, flatworms, mites, beetles, and water dwellers such as water scorpions and nematode worms.
- These surely are Water Scorpions in the genus Ranatra, and they really will give a painful bite.
Definition of water scorpion in:
- The US English dictionary