A large semiaquatic shrew that preys on aquatic invertebrates.
- Four genera, family Soricidae: several species, in particular the Eurasian water shrew (Neomys fodiens) and the American water shrew (Sorex palustris)
More example sentences
- The water shrew of Eurasia weakens its aquatic prey (snails, mollusks, and freshwater insects) with a similar saliva poison.
- In addition to the solenodon, the only mammals that use venom today are the North American short-tailed shrew, the Eurasian water shrew, and the Australian duck-billed platypus.
- For example, northern water shrews are primarily found near wetland habitats including streams with overhanging banks, grass-sedge marshes, and shrub zones bordering streams and ponds.
Definition of water shrew in:
- The US English dictionary