Definition of watercolour in English:
noun[mass noun] (also watercolours)
1Artists' paint made with a water-soluble binder such as gum arabic, and thinned with water rather than oil, giving a transparent colour: a self-portrait in watercolour [count noun]: the technique involved the use of watercolours
More example sentences
- She was a life-long nonsmoker and an artist, painting with watercolor and acrylics.
- There are paintings on acrylic, canvas and handmade paper done with poster colours, watercolours, oil paints and even pens.
- Besides his work as an architect, Mockbee is an artist who uses collage, watercolor, and oil paint.
1.1 [count noun] A picture painted with watercolours.
- Elegant oil paintings alternated with picturesque watercolours, while a number of acrylic paintings enlivened the display spread over two rooms at the gallery.
- Blackadder is exhibiting watercolours and oil paintings.
- Family Copies recreates oil paintings or watercolors by using an image from a digital or photographic source.
1.2The art of painting with watercolours, especially using a technique of producing paler colours by diluting rather than by adding white.
- There, he has lived for the past 30 years, mastering lithography, oil painting, watercolor, gouache, drawing, engraving, sculpture and ceramics.
- In the late 1920s he was introduced to watercolour by visiting artist Rex Battarbee, who later became his agent.
- Example sentences
- When pursuing a bachelor's degree in art, she was introduced to watercolor and has been a watercolorist ever since.
- Primarily a watercolorist, Dixon also works in oil and acrylics.
- He was born at Blackrock, near Dublin, into a cultured family: his father (a solicitor) and his brother (an architect) were good amateur watercolourists.
Definition of watercolour in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan