Definition of watering hole in English:
1A waterhole from which animals regularly drink.
- Well imagine there's three gazelles, right, drinking at a watering hole, yeah?
- At the few remaining watering holes, wolves lie in wait for wild camels.
- In a terrestrial context this scenario might be likened to gazelles, wildebeests, and lions gathering around a watering hole.
1.1 informal A pub or bar: a watering hole for singles
More example sentences
- The group also acquired two prestigious watering holes among a dozen pubs and hotels earlier this year.
- He eases his leg onto the adjacent barstool at the Roadside Inn, the town watering hole, and takes a sip from a frothy mug of beer.
- Anyway, I'd just like to say thanks to everybody for making Whiskey Bar such a friendly watering hole - and a special thanks to those of you who've helped cover the bar tab.
Definition of watering hole in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan