Definition of watering hole in English:
1A waterhole from which animals regularly drink.
- Well imagine there's three gazelles, right, drinking at a watering hole, yeah?
- At the few remaining watering holes, wolves lie in wait for wild camels.
- In a terrestrial context this scenario might be likened to gazelles, wildebeests, and lions gathering around a watering hole.
1.1 informal A pub or bar: a watering hole for singles
More example sentences
- The group also acquired two prestigious watering holes among a dozen pubs and hotels earlier this year.
- He eases his leg onto the adjacent barstool at the Roadside Inn, the town watering hole, and takes a sip from a frothy mug of beer.
- Anyway, I'd just like to say thanks to everybody for making Whiskey Bar such a friendly watering hole - and a special thanks to those of you who've helped cover the bar tab.
Definition of watering hole in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.