A faint design made in some paper during manufacture that is visible when held against the light and typically identifies the maker.
- Information such as a watermark in the paper may help identify a place and date of production.
- It presents the results of research on surviving prints, based on a painstaking physical examination of the paper used, watermarks and typefaces.
- Secondly, when the bank note is held up to the light, a picture and the value of the bank note become visible as a watermark, while the security thread can also be seen as a dark line.
Mark (paper) with a watermark.
- They were duly printed out on the official paper, which was watermarked and crown headed.
- Additionally, the paper stock used is watermarked.
- Moreover, most paper contracted for by the military was watermarked with an eagle, wings extended.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: water|mark
Definition of watermark in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.