- A small finch-like Old World songbird, typically brightly coloured and with a red bill that resembles sealing wax in colour.
More example sentences
- Family Estrildidae (the waxbill family): about three genera, especially Estrilda, and several species. The waxbill family also includes the avadavats, mannikins, cordon-bleu, Java sparrow, zebra finch, etc., many being popular as cage birds
- About 20 koi carp, worth more than £1,000, were killed, and between 20 and 30 finches, canaries, waxbills and Java sparrows were allowed to escape.
- Common waxbills are small African finches that select carnivore scat as a material to include in, on, and around their nests.
- An indignant Cape robin and a sweet waxbill soon followed - each weighing a few grams.
More definitions of waxbillDefinition of waxbill in:
- The US English dictionary