The edge of a road.
- National Park chiefs are becoming increasingly concerned over the growing number of metal boundary markers and village signs which are disappearing from waysides and village entrances.
- I'm ashamed of the state of the litter-strewn waysides and wonder what visitors to this country must think of us.
- A look at a mother in a sprawling Mumbai slum breastfeeding an infant while two more infants doze off awaiting their turn; kids running along the beach in gay abandon; a child in a deep sleep by the wayside on a torn blanket oblivious to the coins donated by generous passers-by... all make compelling viewing.
fall by the wayside
- Fail to persist in an endeavour or undertaking: many readers will fall by the wayside as the terminology becomes more complicatedWith biblical allusion to Luke 8:5More example sentences
- I would be bitterly disappointed if the scheme fell by the wayside.
- It was a good idea, but it just fell by the wayside.
- Tradition also fell by the wayside when councillors nominated two members to serve as deputy mayor, causing a ballot.
Words that rhyme with waysideTayside
Definition of wayside in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.