noun (plural same or weatherfishes)
- A yellowish-brown freshwater loach which is reputed to become restless at the approach of stormy weather.
More example sentences
- Genus Misgurnus, family Cobitidae: the European M. fossilis, and the Asian M. anguillicaudatus, which has also been introduced to North America
- There is a concern that weatherfish could be predators of native fishes or parasite and disease vectors.
- At the same time mudminnow, bitterling and weatherfish are protected by law in Serbia as natural rarities, which provides protection not only of species but of their habitats as well.
- Under experimental conditions oriental weatherfish tolerated temperatures as low as 2°C, and cold shocks from 6°C to 18°C and vice versa.