(Of a boat) able to sail close to the wind without drifting to leeward: the boat came with the weatherly deep keel configuration
More example sentences
- As would be expected, the deep keel version is slightly more weatherly than the wing keel version.
- We learned that she would have been a first-class sea boat, fast and weatherly, certainly capable of crossing the English Channel.
- Therefore, they had shallow drafts and rode low in the water; while they were more seaworthy than many of the northern ironclads, their weatherly qualities were dubious.
- Example sentences
- Though the original vessel was built for fishing, her speed and weatherliness made her ideal as a privateer.
- As for weatherliness, we heard everything from 45º to 60º when we asked owners how high she'll point.
- The tall rig further contributes to weatherliness yet, with double headsails, has proven easily handled for cruising.
Definition of weatherly in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.