Definition of wedding cake in English:
1A rich iced cake, typically in two or more tiers, served at a wedding reception.
- Both staff and residents alike enjoyed a sample of the tier of the wedding cake which was a rich fruit cake.
- In Britain, the most prominent single food item associated with a wedding is the wedding cake.
- If the venue can't offer you a discount for excluding it and serving wedding cake instead, consider ordering a smaller wedding cake.
1.1 [as modifier] informal Denoting a building that is very ornate: a wedding-cake mansion
More example sentences
- Everywhere you turn, there are wonderful buildings: my favourite is the great wedding-cake edifice that towers over Cibeles Square, which turns out, surprisingly, to be the post office.
- Take the number 36 bus 7km along the coast to Miramare, the wedding-cake castle commissioned by poor old Maximilian, younger brother of Emperor Franz Josef and briefly (thanks to Napoleon) Emperor of Mexico.
- ‘There's something very special about old wedding-cake theatres,’ she says.
Definition of wedding cake in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan