- Carl arrived home early on Wednesday morning for a tearful reunion with Kim on the doorstep.
- On Wednesday evening last week that seemed like only the remotest of possibilities.
- Talks between union leaders and employers will take place on Wednesday and Thursday.
adverbchiefly North American
- When my team arrived Wednesday we had to fight with everyone to get a boat in the water.
- Were you there Wednesday?
Old English Wōdnesdæg 'day of Odin', named after the Germanic god Odin or Woden, the supreme god; translation of late Latin Mercurii dies, Odin being equated with the Roman god Mercury. Compare with Dutch woensdag.
Tuesday from Old English:
The ancient Germanic god Tiw is the source of Tuesday. When Germanic peoples came into contact with the Romans they realized that their god Tiw was similar to Mars, the Roman god of war whose day was the third of the week (and who appears in forms such as the French Mardi), and started to call that day ‘Tiw's day’ or Tuesday. Other days of the week were formed in a similar way, with Wednesday being Woden's day, Thursday Thor's day, and Friday Freya's day; Woden or Odin was the supreme god of the German and Scandinavian peoples, Thor the god of thunder, and Freya or Frigga the goddess of love and fertility.
Definition of Wednesday in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.