(also weever fish)
A small, long-bodied fish with eyes at the top of the head and venomous dorsal spines. It occurs along East Atlantic coasts, typically buried in the sand with just the eyes and spines protruding.
- Family Trachinidae: several genera and species
More example sentences
- All weevers have venomous spines on their back and on the gill-covers.
- Pectoral fin on upper side has black tip thought to mimic dorsal fin of venomous weever fish to deter predators.
- When disturbed, weevers erect a dark-colored and highly venomous dorsal spine.
Definition of weever in:
- The US English dictionary