Definition of weightlifting in English:
The sport or activity of lifting barbells or other heavy weights. There are two standard lifts in modern weightlifting: the single-movement lift from floor to extended position (the snatch), and the two-movement lift from floor to shoulder position, and from shoulders to extended position (the clean and jerk).
- Sports like gymnastics, weightlifting and volleyball apply more stimulation for bone growth than running.
- Heavy weightlifting or similar activities that require straining are discouraged.
- Olympic weightlifting consists of two lifts: The snatch and the clean and jerk.
- Example sentences
- Olympic weightlifters follow strict training regimens that may involve three daily sessions totaling up to six hours of training a day.
- A recent study found that seven out of 10 weightlifters surveyed had gastroesophageal reflux disease, also known as heartburn.
- After almost a century of trial and error, weightlifters have proved that the six-meals-per-day plan works best for muscle building.
Definition of weightlifting in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.