Definition of welkin in English:
The sky or heaven.
- When the welkin had ceased to ring with their laughter and screeches, it was customary to join forces and proceed arm-in-arm to spend the evening in the town.
- The loud noise of rushing elephants resembled the roars of the clouds in the welkin, in the season of rains.
make the welkin ring
- Make a very loud sound: the crew made the welkin ring with their hurrahsMore example sentences
- A large crowd was on the piers to witness her departure, and they made the welkin ring with their cheers.
- Mark and his companions made the welkin ring with their shouts at the old man's answer.
- For almost two hours, dignified doctors made the welkin ring with catcalls, boos, and cries of ‘Sit down!’
Definition of welkin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan