noun (plural same)
- A large freshwater catfish that occurs from central Europe to central Asia. It has been known to reach a length of 5 m and a weight of over 300 kg. Also called sheatfish.
More example sentences
- Silurus glanis, family Siluridae
- The longest (although not the heaviest) catfish is the wels, but it is an unprepossessing fish of no great merit.
- As our only widespread catfish species, the wels is unlikely to be mistaken for any other fish.
- There are about 4000 different types of catfish in the world but the best known in Europe, and the most accessible to the UK angler is the wels catfish.
late 19th century: from German Wels.