A marine mollusc which has a tall spiral shell with many whorls that are ringed with oblique ridges. Also called staircase shell.
- Family Epitoniidae, class Gastropoda: numerous species, including the European common wentletrap (Clathrus clathrus)
More example sentences
- Discover the survival techniques of whelks, worms, wentletraps, and other marine creatures.
- About 24 kinds of wentletraps have been recorded in North Carolina waters.
- While the flats near the jetty have a reputation for producing many of the smaller species including wentletraps, nothing noteworthy was found due at least in part to the height of the tide.
mid 18th century: from Dutch wenteltrap, literally 'winding stair'.
Definition of wentletrap in:
- The US English dictionary