Use endearments or flattery to persuade someone to do something or give one something: she wheedled her way on to the guest list [with object]: she had wheedled us into employing her brother [with direct speech]: ‘Please, for my sake,’ he wheedled
More example sentences
- But then, 10 minutes later, he's still needling and wheedling so convincingly you start to flip-flop back to the earlier assumption that, self-effusing pretence or not, Alan Davies hates having his picture taken.
- The film-makers were busy on the lot or on location, but our producers, like Jacob, stayed in the tents, free to wheedle, convince and extort position from and in the studio system.
- With the new cameras will come no mercy, no human face to wheedle, cajole, or insult.
coax, cajole, inveigle, lure, induce, blarney, entice, charm, tempt, beguile, flatter, persuade, influence, sway, win someone over, bring someone round, prod, talk, convince, make, get, press, prevail on, get round, argue, reason, urge, pressure, pressurize, bring pressure to bear on, coerce
- Example sentences
- Its characters are all louche brutes, cozeners and wheedlers - all save the heroine, Bradshaw.
- No self-respecting wheedler would try and talk one into eating the whole thing - it would be gauche.
- These last few weeks, when the wheedlers hadn't yet taken over my classes, I was a little worried.
- Example sentences
- Shame he seems to have to rely on wheedlingly bland ballads to keep him on the radio though.
- Different attendants had different styles, though; an older woman had a wheedlingly generous maternal manner and she spoke to us loudly and indulgently as if we were spoiled kids.
- Now and again men came, strangers, who talked excitedly, wheedlingly, and in all kinds of fashions to the man in the red sweater.
Mid 17th century: perhaps from German wedeln 'cringe, fawn', from Wedel 'tail, fan'.
Words that rhyme with wheedlebeadle, bipedal, credal, needle
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: whee¦dle
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.