(also wheeler and dealer)
Definition of wheeler-dealer in English:
A person who engages in commercial or political scheming: he is a great wheeler-dealer in the corridors of power
More example sentences
- For we have had enough of political wheeler-dealers.
- Exclusive Some start-ups are comprised of wide-eyed wheelers and dealers with little technical expertise.
- By picture's end, Shaw has to navigate a thicket of Chinese organized crime figures, politicos and wheeler-dealers - plus his own traitorous colleagues - to save the day and, not incidentally, his own neck.
- Example sentences
- His solace was the absorbing, incestuous, wheeler-dealing of local politics: in the council chamber he wasn't the invalid, he was the star.
- Also, on average, London Labour councils are getting higher grant increases than Conservative councils, which suggests possible political wheeler-dealing.
- Lynn Macgill was amazed to learn how class prejudice and upper-crust wheeler-dealing were rife, especially in setting up Victoria Park.
Definition of wheeler-dealer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan