Definition of whereas in English:
1In contrast or comparison with the fact that: you treat the matter lightly, whereas I myself was never more serious
More example sentences
- She's the one who is moving on whereas her parents are stuck with the story, are stuck in the past.
- He lived through his era, whereas so many of his friends died in racing accidents.
- Nanjing has also in the past been the capital of China, whereas now Beijing has that role.
1.1(Especially in legal preambles) taking into consideration the fact that.
- Negligence depends on a breach of duty, whereas contributory negligence does not.
- Thus Mr Smith is now the respondent to this appeal, whereas Mr Clark was the claimant below.
- The desks have damaged the walls, whereas a more appropriate choice could have prevented such damage.
Definition of whereas in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan