Definition of whip pan in English:
A camera panning movement fast enough to give a blurred picture.
- Beyond the fantastic title sequence (pay close attention to shot of the Lady Luck Casino) and opening tracking shot, the film is all whip-pans and quick zooms, crane shots and still images, deep focus and forced perspectives.
- This sequence is where Tarantino gets his style-stealing freak on, borrowing the whip-pans and smash-zooms popular in martial arts films of the '70s.
verbBack to top
(whip-pan) [no object] Pan quickly to give a blurred picture.
- With each successive feature, Tony Scott's MTV-inspired style, which includes jump-cuts, whip-pans, and all sorts of other herky-jerky camera tricks, grows more extreme.
- Here is a world that jumps from the intensity of extreme close-ups to sudden whip-pans and boundless wide-shots, reflecting the disjointed, seemingly irrational perspective of the child.
- But there are others which take you into the thick of war, such as one in which a cameraman is filming from a vantage point, whip-panning to catch explosions he clearly has no idea are coming.
Definition of whip pan in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan