Definition of white heat in English:
1The temperature or state of something that is so hot that it emits white light.
- Sometimes he would see the Bunsen burners on, the shooting blue flame and jet white heat.
- At high temperatures, objects radiate intense light across the visible spectrum - that's white heat.
- A gout of white heat erupted from the star in the centre of the reactor, fusing metal and spewing out into space.
1.1 [in singular] A state of intense passion or activity: she had written the letter in a white heat of indignation
More example sentences
- There would be a white heat of new ideas, invention, fortunes being made and fortunes being lost.
- Love affairs, forged in the white heat of lust, are extinguished just as quickly by a fleeting glance from a beautiful stranger.
- His belief in his polemical fable, Keneally tells me from his home in Sydney, stems from the fact it was urgently written - ‘in the white heat of anger’ - from the heart.
Definition of white heat in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.