1A dense blizzard, especially in polar regions.
- Our weather is a factor most of the time, with very thick fogs in springtime, very heavy snow in the fall, and blizzards and white-outs in the winter.
- The concept has potential: two strangers, trapped in an Alaska cabin during a white-out, one a woman in a wedding dress stumbling in from the cold, the other, the reserved and anti-social inhabitant of the cabin.
- The white-out in and around the city caused match promoter Martin Witts to put the Barbican meeting between Jimmy White and Alex Higgins on hold.
1.1A weather condition in which the features and horizon of snow-covered country are indistinguishable due to uniform light diffusion.
- With no food or water, and the dangers of hypothermia and dehydration sliding into inevitability, the men continue their treacherous descent through white-out conditions.
- Just wanted to call and say since the last update we've moved to camp 2 on quite snowy conditions and pretty white-out, zero visibility.
- Mountain rescue teams battled through white-out conditions to find the wreckage near the summit of the Highland mountain, the second highest in the UK.
2 [mass noun] White correction fluid for covering typing or writing mistakes.
- In his new post, McEttrick oversees all functions of lighters, shavers, writing instruments and white-out correction products.
- This includes food products, of course, but also school supplies such as ink, toner, white-out, and paint.
- This is Christmas in Connecticut and chestnuts roasting on an open fire, instead of white-out dropping on a 1040EZ tax form, which is more in keeping with this pre-April calendar.
3A loss of colour vision due to rapid acceleration, often prior to a loss of consciousness.
- As you enter, visual and acoustic references are slowly erased, leaving only a visual white-out and the white noise of the pulsating nozzles.
- Either way, I'm going to lie down before total white-out.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.